The second course in a two course sequence. Measurement, analysis, and use of accounting information for management decision-making. Variable costing and inventory management, capital budgeting and operational budgeting decisions, and performance measurement and control of cost/profit/investment centers.
- Evaluate relevant and irrelevant costs/revenues in choosing among alternatives such as ‘make or buy,’ rent or lease, etc., and understand the importance of quantitative as well as qualitative factors in the decision-making process.
- Synthesize short-run from long-run pricing decisions including target-costing approach.
- Evaluate business performance using the four perspective of balanced scorecard.
- Apply the concept of ‘cost pools’ and bases for allocation using the direct allocation, step-down allocation, and reciprocal methods, as well as accounting for joint costs, by-product costs, spoilage, rework, and scrap.
- Apply economic order quantity theory as a tool for the management and inventory control of materials.
- Synthesize capital budgeting techniques such as discounted cash flows, net present value, internal rate of return, payback method, accrual accounting rate-of-return return, and sensitivity analysis to evaluate long-term investment alternatives.
- Apply transfer pricing concepts in setting appropriate domestic and international transfer prices, based on cost, market, resources employed, and other considerations.
- Evaluate return on investment using the DuPont method, residual income, and economic value methods to evaluate performance as an integral part of management control system, and apply these methods to a research case.
Why Choose National University?
We’re proud to be a veteran-founded, San Diego-based nonprofit. Since 1971, our mission has been to provide accessible, achievable higher education to adult learners. Today, we educate students from across the U.S. and around the globe, with over 165,000 alumni worldwide.
Focus on one subject at a time — one month at a time — and finish your degree faster.
100+ Degree Programs
Choose from associate, bachelor’s, and master’s degrees, plus credentials and certificates.
On Campus or Online
Study when and where it’s convenient for you with evening, weekend, and 100% online classes.
Apply or transfer any time. Classes start monthly, and applications are accepted year round.
20+ Campus Locations
Attend class onsite at one of over 20 campus locations across California or in Nevada.
As a Yellow Ribbon school, we offer tuition discounts to servicemembers and dependents.