A study of cost accounting principles and procedures including fixed, variable and mixed costs, break-even point analysis, job order costing, process costing, standard costing, activity based costing, variance analysis for variable and fixed costs, budgeting (static and flexible budgets), and preparation of variable and absorption costing statements.
- Distinguish among variable, fixed, and mixed costs, direct and indirect costs, period and product costs, and other terms relative to cost and managerial accounting.
- Apply the principles of cost-volume-profit analysis in the computation of break-even point, margin of safety, and related analytical tools.
- Differentiate between job order and process costing and apply them in the determination of product costs.
- Apply sound budgeting principles in the preparation of operating budgets and performance reports.
- Apply the concepts of flexible budget and discuss its advantage and utility over a static budget.
- Analyze material, labor, and overhead variances to explain differences between standards and actual results.
- Apply the concepts of absorption costing and variable costing to present income statements and reconcile the difference between the two methods.
Why Choose National University?
We’re proud to be a veteran-founded, San Diego-based nonprofit. Since 1971, our mission has been to provide accessible, achievable higher education to adult learners. Today, we educate students from across the U.S. and around the globe, with over 150,000 alumni worldwide.
Focus on one subject at a time — one month at a time — and finish your degree faster.
100+ Degree Programs
Choose from associate, bachelor’s, and master’s degrees, plus credentials and certificates.
On Campus or Online
Study when and where it’s convenient for you with evening, weekend, and 100% online classes.
Apply or transfer any time. Classes start monthly, and applications are accepted year round.
20+ Campus Locations
Attend class onsite at one of over 20 campus locations across California or in Nevada.
As a Yellow Ribbon school, we offer tuition discounts to servicemembers and dependents.
School of Business and Management
“Our business and management programs equip students with the knowledge and tools needed to lead their organizations and stay competitive in the job marketplace.”School of Business and Management