An in-depth look at several of the advanced topics surveyed in FIN 631, this course includes bond portfolio management strategies, bond betas and their portfolio impact, option valuation models and hedging, practical use of portfolio insurance and hedging, problems with model-dependent hedging, and the use of futures contracts and their objectives. It covers problems faced by corporate and professional investment managers in their effort to hedge portfolio risks and improve portfolio returns.
- Communicate principles and applications of fixed income security management; the theory of interest rate.determination, the term structure of interest rates, and the measurement and hedging of interest rate risk.
- Discriminate between alternative security combinations which have better use in portfolio hedging than the use of derivative securities as a hedging strategy.
- Use the pricing principles of derivative securities.
- Evaluate the theoretical and practical benefits of managed futures trading programs.
- Evaluate hedging alternatives.
- Evaluate factors that have an impact on the prices of derivative securities and their underlying securities.
- Compare and contrast currently used corporate securities and derivatives securities.
- Make decisions in the money, capital and commodity markets using appropriate ethical standards.
Why Choose National University?
We’re proud to be a veteran-founded, San Diego-based nonprofit. Since 1971, our mission has been to provide accessible, achievable higher education to adult learners. Today, we educate students from across the U.S. and around the globe, with over 175,000 alumni worldwide.
Focus on one subject at a time — one month at a time — and finish your degree faster.
75+ Degree Programs
Choose from associate, bachelor’s, and master’s degrees, plus credentials and certificates.
On Campus or Online
Study when and where it’s convenient for you with evening, weekend, and 100% online classes.
Apply or transfer any time. Classes start monthly, and applications are accepted year round.
20+ Campus Locations
Attend class onsite at one of over 20 campus locations across California or in Nevada.
As a Yellow Ribbon school, we offer tuition discounts to servicemembers and dependents.