This course is a survey of the basic principles and concepts used in the financial management of a business enterprise addressed from both theoretical and practical standpoints. Topics include money and capital markets, financial management of working capital, capital budgeting and fixed asset management, cost of capital, and short-term and long-term financing by means of debt and equity capital.
- Differentiate finance from closely-related disciplines of economics and accounting and describe the primary function of financial managers.
- Interpret stockholders’ report and basic financial statements including income statement, balance sheet, statement of retained earnings and cash flow statement.
- Relate the concept and application of time value of money and discounted cash flow analysis to asset of problems.
- Analyze relevant cash flows in the capital budgeting process.
- Evaluate capital budgeting projects using the payback, net present value and internal rate of return methods.
- Calculate the component costs of the firm’s capital structure, and determine cost of capital, weighted average and marginal cost of capital.
- Discuss the various sources of long-term capital and select an optimal mix to meet the firm’s financial needs.
- Evaluate factors affecting dividend policy and the effect dividend policy has on the cost of capital.
- Understand the key characteristics of working capital and its individual elements, such as cash and marketable securities, inventory, and their roles as an investment.
Why Choose National University?
We’re proud to be a veteran-founded, San Diego-based nonprofit. Since 1971, our mission has been to provide accessible, achievable higher education to adult learners. Today, we educate students from across the U.S. and around the globe, with over 175,000 alumni worldwide.
Focus on one subject at a time — one month at a time — and finish your degree faster.
75+ Degree Programs
Choose from associate, bachelor’s, and master’s degrees, plus credentials and certificates.
On Campus or Online
Study when and where it’s convenient for you with evening, weekend, and 100% online classes.
Apply or transfer any time. Classes start monthly, and applications are accepted year round.
20+ Campus Locations
Attend class onsite at one of over 20 campus locations across California or in Nevada.
As a Yellow Ribbon school, we offer tuition discounts to servicemembers and dependents.