Accounting principles used by governmental units and non-profit organizations. Concepts of fund accounting and the analysis and interpretation of the financial statements.
- Compare and contrast the financial reporting objectives of governmental and not-for-profit organizations with those of business entities.
- Evaluate the major components of a comprehensive annual financial report (CAFR) of a state or local government.
- Apply fund accounting principles to the recording of monetary transactions of state and local governments in accordance with the standards set by the Governmental Accounting Standards Board (GASB).
- Assess budgeting approaches and procedures for state and local governments.
- Integrate the generally accepted accounting principles relating to specialized forms of nonprofit organizations including colleges / universities and health care organizations.
- Apply the generally accepted government auditing standards (GAGAS) for governmental organizations including the Single Audit Act and the implications of the Sarbanes-Oxley Act of 2002.
- Apply the generally accepted accounting principles for Federal agencies as contained in the Statements of Federal Financial Accounting Standards (SFFAS).
Why Choose National University?
We’re proud to be a veteran-founded, San Diego-based nonprofit. Since 1971, our mission has been to provide accessible, achievable higher education to adult learners. Today, we educate students from across the U.S. and around the globe, with over 180,000 alumni worldwide.
Focus on one subject at a time — one month at a time — and finish your degree faster.
75+ Degree Programs
Choose from associate, bachelor’s, and master’s degrees, plus credentials and certificates.
On Campus or Online
Study when and where it’s convenient for you with evening, weekend, and 100% online classes.
Apply or transfer any time. Classes start monthly, and applications are accepted year round.
Attend class and learn onsite at one of over 20 locations in California.
As a Yellow Ribbon school, we offer tuition discounts to servicemembers and dependents.