Study of the statutory provisions, judicial doctrines, and implementation of the theory and practice of federal income taxation of individuals.
- Apply the rules for determining exemption and filing status of individuals.
- Assess specific items to include or exclude to arrive at gross income (all inclusive system of taxation unless specific excluded by statute).
- Evaluate the items to be used to reduce adjusted gross income and those that are deducted from adjusted gross income.
- Integrate within the income tax formula the deductibility of taxpayers’ expenditures and losses, encompassing taxpayer’s itemized deductions.
- Analyze the accounting method and accounting period used to determine the year in which income and expenses will be reported for tax purposes.
- Appraise the disposition (sale or exchange) of property along with the analysis and recording of the realized and recognized/non-recognized gains or losses that occur.
- Evaluate the rule relative to Passive Activity Loss rules.
- Judge the applicability of Alternative Minimum Tax.
- Assess income tax information to prepare a moderately complex Form 1040 individual income tax return together with necessary schedules.
Why Choose National University?
We’re proud to be a veteran-founded, San Diego-based nonprofit. Since 1971, our mission has been to provide accessible, achievable higher education to adult learners. Today, we educate students from across the U.S. and around the globe, with over 180,000 alumni worldwide.
Focus on one subject at a time — one month at a time — and finish your degree faster.
75+ Degree Programs
Choose from associate, bachelor’s, and master’s degrees, plus credentials and certificates.
On Campus or Online
Study when and where it’s convenient for you with evening, weekend, and 100% online classes.
Apply or transfer any time. Classes start monthly, and applications are accepted year round.
Attend class and learn onsite at one of over 20 locations in California.
As a Yellow Ribbon school, we offer tuition discounts to servicemembers and dependents.