TESL Curr. Development: K-12
Examines culturally responsive and inclusive instruction through historical, sociological and psychological perspectives. Emphasizes the development of successful family and community involvement. Includes an overview of multicultural and multilingual curricula and inclusive approaches to teaching.
- Demonstrate knowledge of the historical perspective of cultural and linguistic diversity in the United States.
- Demonstrate knowledge of the nature of culture and how assumptions, attitudes, and behaviors are shaped by culture and language.
- Identify the connections between language, culture, and education. Describe the nature of culture and gain an understanding of how assumptions, attitudes, and behaviors are shaped by culture, and how current practices create barriers for some and opportunities for others.
- Identify methods of including parents and the community within the school setting in order to strengthen children’s background and culture.
- Compare and contrast multicultural education and identify methods of integrating a multicultural perspective into teaching or other educational activities.
- Demonstrate the ability to adapt curriculum and instruction so that it becomes accessible to all students.
Why Choose National University?
We’re proud to be a veteran-founded, San Diego-based nonprofit. Since 1971, our mission has been to provide accessible, achievable higher education to adult learners. Today, we educate students from across the U.S. and around the globe, with over 200,000 alumni worldwide.
Focus on one subject at a time — one month at a time — and finish your degree faster.
75+ Degree Programs
Choose from associate, bachelor’s, and master’s degrees, plus credentials and certificates.
On Campus or Online
Study when and where it’s convenient for you with evening, weekend, and 100% online classes.
Apply or transfer any time. Classes start monthly, and applications are accepted year round.
Attend class and learn onsite at one of over 20 locations in California.
As a Yellow Ribbon school, we offer tuition discounts to servicemembers and dependents.