TESL Teaching Methods: K-12
Examination of specific second language instructional approaches and methodologies and use of instructional materials in grades K-12. Demonstration and integration of the most effective age-appropriate strategies, techniques, resources, and technology applications for all students, especially English Language Learners.
- Identify and explain historical, legal, and political, sociological, and legislative foundations of educational programs for ESL learners.
- Describe and explain levels of English language development and their significance for instructional planning, organization, and delivery as well as the importance of organizing daily instruction, objectives, and assessments around standards and student-centered learning in classrooms.
- Identify, describe, and assess the most advantageous processes, resources, and strategies for English language development that could be applied in classrooms, including stimulating classroom environments, student-grouping, paraprofessionals, and family and community involvement.
- Identify, describe, and evaluate culturally responsive, age-appropriate, and linguistically accessible materials and resources that are suitable to English Learners’ developing language and content-area abilities, including technological resources.
- Plan, design, and teach a lesson based on state adopted academic content standards that demonstrates a variety of efficient strategies, materials, and technology applications, pedagogical practices, sequencing, scaffolding, and differentiated instruction that addresses listening, speaking, reading, and writing for English language learners at varying proficiency levels in a classroom.
- Utilize and evaluate applied techniques to develop students’ academic language proficiency (speaking, listening, reading, writing) in school settings.
Why Choose National University?
We’re proud to be a veteran-founded, San Diego-based nonprofit. Since 1971, our mission has been to provide accessible, achievable higher education to adult learners. Today, we educate students from across the U.S. and around the globe, with over 185,000 alumni worldwide.
Focus on one subject at a time — one month at a time — and finish your degree faster.
75+ Degree Programs
Choose from associate, bachelor’s, and master’s degrees, plus credentials and certificates.
On Campus or Online
Study when and where it’s convenient for you with evening, weekend, and 100% online classes.
Apply or transfer any time. Classes start monthly, and applications are accepted year round.
Attend class and learn onsite at one of over 20 locations in California.
As a Yellow Ribbon school, we offer tuition discounts to servicemembers and dependents.