Content Area Literacy
This is course is aligned with the California Board of Education adopted academic content standards in English Language Arts and the Reading/Language Arts Framework for students who are speakers of English, English language learners (ELLs) and students with special needs and is designed to assist Single Subject Credential Candidates in developing the background and skills necessary to teach literacy in the content areas to middle/junior and/or senior high school students in the culturally and linguistically diverse classrooms in the California public schools.
- Apply a Reading approach that helps students in culturally and linguistically diverse classrooms learn from print text in your subject area, consistent with the state (or national) academic content standards.
- Develop a lesson to activate or refine background knowledge and/or establish purpose for reading.
- Develop a lesson to teach specific words and/or help students learn words independently.
- Incorporate into vocabulary instruction word identification strategies, including grapho-phonemic clues, orthographic (spelling) patterns, structural analysis, context clues and/or sight word recognition.
- Develop a lesson to guide students during reading and/or promote independent reading.
- Develop a lesson using writing activities to support the content.
- Develop assessments that measure students understanding of the content.
Why Choose National University?
We’re proud to be a Veteran-founded, San Diego-based nonprofit. Since 1971, our mission has been to provide accessible, achievable higher education to adult learners. Today, we educate students from across the U.S. and around the globe, with over 230,000 alumni worldwide.
Focus on one subject at a time — one month at a time — and finish your degree faster.
75+ Degree Programs
Choose from associate, bachelor’s, and master’s degrees, plus credentials and certificates.
On Campus or Online
Study when and where it’s convenient for you with evening, weekend, and 100% online classes.
Apply or transfer any time. Classes start monthly, and applications are accepted year round.
Attend class and learn onsite at one of over 20 locations in California.
As a Yellow Ribbon school, we offer tuition discounts to servicemembers and dependents.