First Month Student Teaching Course
(Note: This course does not grant graduate level credit) TED 630A comprises the first month of the semester-long Student Teaching experience. Candidates are placed with certified Supervising Teachers. Candidates must successfully complete four components: (1) school site classroom orientation and responsibilities, (2) observations, (3) professional dispositions and (4) lesson plan design, implementation and reflection. Grading is H, S, or U only.
- Participate in a site orientation to determine the principal, Supervising Teacher and NU Supervisor’s expectations.
- Demonstrate fulfillment of Professional Dispositions by fulfilling responsibilities and maintaining positive interpersonal relationships.
- Demonstrate effective classroom management techniques and provide a positive learning environment for students.
- Assess student learning by using multiple assessment measures that meet the needs of ELL, special needs, and gifted students; analyzing assessment data; and determining student instructional needs for future instruction.
- Plan and teach with increasing responsibility demonstrating the Teacher Performance Expectations (TPEs) and applying the knowledge learned in course work.
- Demonstrate ways to: a) adapt content standards based on learners with diverse needs; and b) implement a lesson plan that shows evidence of differentiation by level of readiness, interest, and/or learning profile for a specific group of students.
- Reflect on their teaching performance; identify areas of strength and areas of need; and determine student learning needs.
Why Choose National University?
We’re proud to be a veteran-founded, San Diego-based nonprofit. Since 1971, our mission has been to provide accessible, achievable higher education to adult learners. Today, we educate students from across the U.S. and around the globe, with over 185,000 alumni worldwide.
Focus on one subject at a time — one month at a time — and finish your degree faster.
75+ Degree Programs
Choose from associate, bachelor’s, and master’s degrees, plus credentials and certificates.
On Campus or Online
Study when and where it’s convenient for you with evening, weekend, and 100% online classes.
Apply or transfer any time. Classes start monthly, and applications are accepted year round.
Attend class and learn onsite at one of over 20 locations in California.
As a Yellow Ribbon school, we offer tuition discounts to servicemembers and dependents.