Methods of Teaching Science
Prepare prospective science teachers to be accomplished teachers in present day diverse middle or secondary school classrooms by creating a vision for successful science teaching. Candidates will deliver pedagogical content knowledge through appropriate instructional materials and by creating context for meaningful learning methods, strategies, and best practices.
- Discuss and analyze national and state science standards.
- Demonstrate knowledge of science content for secondary schools.
- Demonstrate knowledge of the unique qualities of adolescents and young adults and the developmental factors that affect the teaching of science skills to this population.
- Demonstrate the ability to respond to the affective and cognitive needs of diverse populations and cross-cultural literacies using the science curriculum.
- Demonstrate the use of current science methodologies and strategies.
- Demonstrate the use of current technology available to help develop students as science learners.
- Reflect on their own and other’s instruction as a means for self-improvement and self-understanding.
- Demonstrate the ability to access resources that help improve instruction, advance the knowledge and practice of the field, and develop professionalism.
Why Choose National University?
We’re proud to be a Veteran-founded, San Diego-based nonprofit. Since 1971, our mission has been to provide accessible, achievable higher education to adult learners. Today, we educate students from across the U.S. and around the globe, with over 220,000 alumni worldwide.
Focus on one subject at a time — one month at a time — and finish your degree faster.
75+ Degree Programs
Choose from associate, bachelor’s, and master’s degrees, plus credentials and certificates.
On Campus or Online
Study when and where it’s convenient for you with evening, weekend, and 100% online classes.
Apply or transfer any time. Classes start monthly, and applications are accepted year round.
Attend class and learn onsite at one of over 20 locations in California.
As a Yellow Ribbon school, we offer tuition discounts to servicemembers and dependents.