Methods of Teaching English
Prepares prospective English language arts teachers to be accomplished teachers in present day diverse middle or secondary school classrooms. Fundamental language skills including reading, writing, listening, speaking, viewing and visually representing will be studied. Prospective teachers will display knowledge and mastery of these skills and demonstrate how to imbed these concepts across the English language arts curriculum through rigorous and varied teaching methods. Opportunities will be provided to explore and analyze resources and to demonstrate and celebrate a commitment and responsibility to developing teaching skills.
- Discuss and analyze national and state English standards.
- Demonstrate knowledge of English language arts content for secondary schools.
- Demonstrate knowledge of the unique qualities of adolescents and young adults and the developmental factors that affect the teaching of English language arts skills to this population.
- Demonstrate the ability to respond to the affective and cognitive needs of diverse populations and cross-cultural literacies using the English language arts curriculum.
- Demonstrate the use of current language arts methodologies and strategies for teaching various genres, literary perspectives, and visual/medial literacies and language approaches.
- Demonstrate the use of current technology available to help develop students as language learners.
- Reflect on their own and other’s instruction as a means for self-improvement and self-understanding.
- Demonstrate the ability to access resources that help improve instruction, advance the knowledge and practice of the field, and develop professionalism.
Why Choose National University?
We’re proud to be a veteran-founded, San Diego-based nonprofit. Since 1971, our mission has been to provide accessible, achievable higher education to adult learners. Today, we educate students from across the U.S. and around the globe, with over 185,000 alumni worldwide.
Focus on one subject at a time — one month at a time — and finish your degree faster.
75+ Degree Programs
Choose from associate, bachelor’s, and master’s degrees, plus credentials and certificates.
On Campus or Online
Study when and where it’s convenient for you with evening, weekend, and 100% online classes.
Apply or transfer any time. Classes start monthly, and applications are accepted year round.
Attend class and learn onsite at one of over 20 locations in California.
As a Yellow Ribbon school, we offer tuition discounts to servicemembers and dependents.