Reading/Language ARts Methods – Secondary
Includes content, methods and materials for teaching reading in a secondary classroom. Candidates will learn strategies for management of activities/materials, planning lessons, using technology, evaluating learning, and integrating reading into other content areas. Student Teaching Candidates are required to complete five hours of observing and assisting in a public school classroom as directed by the instructor.
- Demonstrate the background and skills necessary to assist with reading instruction and developing instructional materials to create a learning environment that promotes reading in the cross-cultural, linguistically diverse secondary classroom.
- Demonstrate understanding of the domains of literacy & vocabulary, fluency, comprehension and writing.
- Develop lessons to address strategy instruction in vocabulary, fluency, comprehension in both small and large groups using a variety of literary genres.
- Acquire techniques to effectively use technology to access to the core curriculum.
- Properly identify students’ prior knowledge, select appropriate instructional objectives, and measure student growth.
- Compare and contrast formal and informal methods to assess students’ needs and achievements, as well as an awareness of cultural and linguistic limitations of assessment practices and instruments.
- Acquire skills to foster the ability of students to evaluate information found in a variety of texts, to think analytically, and to reach sound conclusions.
- Recognize the importance of fostering a positive self-esteem in all students by providing suitable reinforcement and feedback.
- Demonstrate classroom management strategies such as: organizing and arranging a classroom, managing student work and maintaining accountability as it relates to the teaching of reading.
- Identify a list of web sites that could be used to enhance reading instruction.
Why Choose National University?
We’re proud to be a Veteran-founded, San Diego-based nonprofit. Since 1971, our mission has been to provide accessible, achievable higher education to adult learners. Today, we educate students from across the U.S. and around the globe, with over 230,000 alumni worldwide.
Focus on one subject at a time — one month at a time — and finish your degree faster.
75+ Degree Programs
Choose from associate, bachelor’s, and master’s degrees, plus credentials and certificates.
On Campus or Online
Study when and where it’s convenient for you with evening, weekend, and 100% online classes.
Apply or transfer any time. Classes start monthly, and applications are accepted year round.
Attend class and learn onsite at one of over 20 locations in California.
As a Yellow Ribbon school, we offer tuition discounts to servicemembers and dependents.