Dev. Fluency in Reading
Research-based analysis of English phonology, morphology and orthography, with attention to teaching students to become proficient readers through recognizing sound-print relationships. Incorporates current approaches to phonemic awareness, explicit phonics instruction, recognition of high-frequency words and spelling patterns for both English speakers and English language learners.
- Apply knowledge of the theoretical and research foundations of teaching phonological awareness and linguistic processes.
- Explain the scope and sequence of teaching phonological and linguistic processes.
- Develop effective instructional practices for assisting phonological awareness and linguistic processes in the developing reader.
- Design instructional strategies for individuals, small and large groups, and whole class instruction.
- Select and adapt curriculum materials for native English speakers, limited English proficient speakers, and English language learners.
- Evaluate appropriateness of instructional materials for teaching sound-print correspondence.
- Develop research-based classroom management strategies related to the teaching of phonological and linguistic awareness.
Why Choose National University?
We’re proud to be a Veteran-founded, San Diego-based nonprofit. Since 1971, our mission has been to provide accessible, achievable higher education to adult learners. Today, we educate students from across the U.S. and around the globe, with over 220,000 alumni worldwide.
Focus on one subject at a time — one month at a time — and finish your degree faster.
75+ Degree Programs
Choose from associate, bachelor’s, and master’s degrees, plus credentials and certificates.
On Campus or Online
Study when and where it’s convenient for you with evening, weekend, and 100% online classes.
Apply or transfer any time. Classes start monthly, and applications are accepted year round.
Attend class and learn onsite at one of over 20 locations in California.
As a Yellow Ribbon school, we offer tuition discounts to servicemembers and dependents.