Knowledge, skills and dispositions required to locate, evaluate and generate research on language teaching and learning. Construction of an Applied Research Project that includes 1) the preparation of a written document ready for publication that reports findings from an applied research and 2) the preparation of a presentation that situates the research project's findings within the field of research on language teaching and learning and within the practices of professional educators.
- Describe and formulate an applied research topic statement
- Prepare a written statement of an educational topic in which an education issue in the area of language teaching and learning is articulated within a current educational context
- Synthesize, for an applied research, the identification, selection and reduction of scholarly works used for the review of relevant literature
- Use library resources, including electronic data bases, to locate, identify, and select relevant research on programs, learning and instruction relevant to the education of addition language learners
- Describe, for an applied research, the two major research paradigms and the qualitative and quantitative research methods associated with those methods
- Interpret and evaluate the two major research paradigms and the qualitative and quantitative research methods associated with those methods in the review of applied research on language teaching and learning
- Produce, for an applied research, a design for methods and procedures to generate data and analyses
- Conduct an applied research project on language teaching and learning
- Produce a review of relevant literature on an educational problem related to language teaching and learning
- Author a research document for publication that conforms to APA mechanics and style guidelines and that includes 1) a statement of the problem, 2) a review of relevant literature, 3) methods used to study the phenomenon, 4) findings of the research project and 5) implications for further study
- Utilize, for an applied research, the rhetorical strategies to summarize an applied research and then locate the applied research within the field of language teaching and learning and within the practices of professional educators
- Prepare a PowerPoint presentation that summarizes the applied research project and that locates the applied research project's findings within the field of language teaching and learning and within the practices of professional educators
Why Choose National University?
We’re proud to be a veteran-founded, San Diego-based nonprofit. Since 1971, our mission has been to provide accessible, achievable higher education to adult learners. Today, we educate students from across the U.S. and around the globe, with over 200,000 alumni worldwide.
Focus on one subject at a time — one month at a time — and finish your degree faster.
75+ Degree Programs
Choose from associate, bachelor’s, and master’s degrees, plus credentials and certificates.
On Campus or Online
Study when and where it’s convenient for you with evening, weekend, and 100% online classes.
Apply or transfer any time. Classes start monthly, and applications are accepted year round.
Attend class and learn onsite at one of over 20 locations in California.
As a Yellow Ribbon school, we offer tuition discounts to servicemembers and dependents.