This course provides a comprehensive review of the theories, strategies, techniques, and critical issues involved in clinical work with families. This course will discuss various treatment approaches including an emphasis on evidence-based, recovery, and resilience-based approaches. Students will have the opportunity to role play family sessions.
- Assess the family’s presenting problem(s) as well as the family dynamics based on the family life cycle.
- Conduct an initial intake session with a family to assess family dynamics and presenting problem(s).
- Apply concepts of family theory to family counseling.
- Demonstrate counseling skills related to work with families in role-play sessions.
- Formulate a treatment plan based on the family system assessment, resilience, and recovery models, DSM diagnosis or other assessment perspectives.
- Formulate an analysis of treatment outcomes based on common outcomes measures.
- Apply concepts of cultural sensitivity to the assessment of families and in treatment planning.
- Apply evidence-based treatment approaches to family therapy.
Why Choose National University?
We’re proud to be a veteran-founded, San Diego-based nonprofit. Since 1971, our mission has been to provide accessible, achievable higher education to adult learners. Today, we educate students from across the U.S. and around the globe, with over 185,000 alumni worldwide.
Focus on one subject at a time — one month at a time — and finish your degree faster.
75+ Degree Programs
Choose from associate, bachelor’s, and master’s degrees, plus credentials and certificates.
On Campus or Online
Study when and where it’s convenient for you with evening, weekend, and 100% online classes.
Apply or transfer any time. Classes start monthly, and applications are accepted year round.
Attend class and learn onsite at one of over 20 locations in California.
As a Yellow Ribbon school, we offer tuition discounts to servicemembers and dependents.
College of Letters and Sciences
“Our faculty are established scholars and creators in their own fields. They are dedicated to making your entry into their disciplines a successful one, preparing you for your career as well as graduate study.”College of Letters and Sciences