A comprehensive study of the major approaches, techniques and interventions used in group psychotherapy. Also emphasizes dynamics of group process including the types, stages and formation of groups.
- Analyze orally and in writing the major theoretical frameworks for group process and therapeutic change with diverse client populations within contemporary mental health.
- Apply methods of group intervention that uphold professional standards of ethics, values, and laws related to mental health practice.
- Design a group psycho-educational experience appropriate to diverse client populations.
- Demonstrate entry-level mastery of core facilitation skills for effective group process.
- Match client profile and need with different group approaches including (but not limited to) interpersonal, psychodynamic, cognitive-behavioral, psycho-educational, structured skills development, and support group process.
- Demonstrate capacities for self-reflection, openness to feedback, psychological mindedness, and personal growth and development necessary for safe and effective group practice.
Why Choose National University?
We’re proud to be a veteran-founded, San Diego-based nonprofit. Since 1971, our mission has been to provide accessible, achievable higher education to adult learners. Today, we educate students from across the U.S. and around the globe, with over 185,000 alumni worldwide.
Focus on one subject at a time — one month at a time — and finish your degree faster.
75+ Degree Programs
Choose from associate, bachelor’s, and master’s degrees, plus credentials and certificates.
On Campus or Online
Study when and where it’s convenient for you with evening, weekend, and 100% online classes.
Apply or transfer any time. Classes start monthly, and applications are accepted year round.
Attend class and learn onsite at one of over 20 locations in California.
As a Yellow Ribbon school, we offer tuition discounts to servicemembers and dependents.
College of Letters and Sciences
“Our faculty are established scholars and creators in their own fields. They are dedicated to making your entry into their disciplines a successful one, preparing you for your career as well as graduate study.”College of Letters and Sciences