Part one of a two-part sequence. A comprehensive examination of the family as a social institution and how it shapes the course of human development. The student is exposed to models and systems of family development, the multifaceted dynamics of intrafamily relationships, and interactions of the family with various elements of the sociocultural environment. Attention is also focused on family interaction patterns, including communication processes, power relationships, open and closed family systems, parent-child relationships, and conflict resolution processes.
- Demonstrate an understanding of family systems conceptualization of problems and approaches to therapy.
- Articulate how various systems approaches conceptualize problems.
- Articulate the historical development general systems theory.
- Outline the contributions of major personalities within the field (both historical and current).
- Demonstrate knowledge of family life cycle as it applies to family dynamics and presenting problem.
- Articulate psychopathology from a systems perspective.
- Demonstrate ability to analyze family interactions systemically, the interaction between family system problems and strengths and individual family members’ problems and strengths, and the role of the family in helping family members with developmental, acute, and chronic problems
- Demonstrate ability to think critically about the implications of these theories for assessing and working with vulnerable populations
- Construct family genograms for their own families as well as families of multiple case presentations.
Why Choose National University?
We’re proud to be a veteran-founded, San Diego-based nonprofit. Since 1971, our mission has been to provide accessible, achievable higher education to adult learners. Today, we educate students from across the U.S. and around the globe, with over 200,000 alumni worldwide.
Focus on one subject at a time — one month at a time — and finish your degree faster.
75+ Degree Programs
Choose from associate, bachelor’s, and master’s degrees, plus credentials and certificates.
On Campus or Online
Study when and where it’s convenient for you with evening, weekend, and 100% online classes.
Apply or transfer any time. Classes start monthly, and applications are accepted year round.
Attend class and learn onsite at one of over 20 locations in California.
As a Yellow Ribbon school, we offer tuition discounts to servicemembers and dependents.
School of Arts, Letters, and Sciences
“Our faculty are established scholars and creators in their own fields. They are dedicated to making your entry into their disciplines a successful one, preparing you for your career as well as graduate study.”School of Arts, Letters, and Sciences