Counseling Paradigms I
This course provides an overview of major current and evolving paradigms of psychotherapy and how they influence counseling theory and practice. Students acquire core skills related to effective therapeutic communication and to the therapist’s role in promoting exploration, insight, and behavior change.
- Apply counseling-related core concepts of influential contemporary paradigms such as analytical, experiential, action, and common factors approaches to individual counseling.
- Assess core paradigm components incorporated into specific contemporary psychotherapies.
- Compare and contrast components of strength-based and recovery models of mental health interventions
- Demonstrate entry-level counseling skills relevant to exploration of clients’ issues, insight, and behavior change.
- Assess core therapist concepts such as personal attitudes and skills relevant to professional development including self-reflection, openness to feedback, transference and counter-transference, psychological mindness, and personal growth.
Why Choose National University?
We’re proud to be a veteran-founded, San Diego-based nonprofit. Since 1971, our mission has been to provide accessible, achievable higher education to adult learners. Today, we educate students from across the U.S. and around the globe, with over 200,000 alumni worldwide.
Focus on one subject at a time — one month at a time — and finish your degree faster.
75+ Degree Programs
Choose from associate, bachelor’s, and master’s degrees, plus credentials and certificates.
On Campus or Online
Study when and where it’s convenient for you with evening, weekend, and 100% online classes.
Apply or transfer any time. Classes start monthly, and applications are accepted year round.
Attend class and learn onsite at one of over 20 locations in California.
As a Yellow Ribbon school, we offer tuition discounts to servicemembers and dependents.
School of Arts, Letters, and Sciences
“Our faculty are established scholars and creators in their own fields. They are dedicated to making your entry into their disciplines a successful one, preparing you for your career as well as graduate study.”School of Arts, Letters, and Sciences