An examination of developmental theories from childhood through old age as they relate to the practice of psychotherapy. Areas considered will include diversity, gender, and multi-cultural issues as well as identifying normative developmental transitions and their differentiation from deviant developmental pattern
- Demonstrate knowledge of theories of development throughout the lifespan, including processes of growth and change in children and adolescents and main life transitions which adults may be expected to experience.
- Demonstrate knowledge of the significant factors which affect individuals throughout the lifespan: socioeconomic, ethnic, cultural, family, gender, marital status, and sexual orientation.
- Assess early developmental history to determine impact on child and adolescent functioning.
- Correlate the special kinds of problems which confront parents in different paradigms: married, single, divorced.
- Articulate the problems which confront caregivers of the elderly, and for those in the process of dying.
- Articulate how intelligence & perception change with aging, as well as the effects of diseases which increasingly occur with aging.
- Demonstrate knowledge of how to incorporate knowledge of child, adolescent, and adult development into decisions about treatment including theoretical orientation and choice or design of treatment options.
- Demonstrate the ability to identify and prioritize clinical issues in the treatment of children, adolescents, and adults.
- Articulate theoretical perspectives on child, adolescent, and adult development and apply them to the understanding of the problems throughout the lifespan.
- Distinguish behaviors that are a part of normal development from those that deviate from normal development.
Why Choose National University?
We’re proud to be a veteran-founded, San Diego-based nonprofit. Since 1971, our mission has been to provide accessible, achievable higher education to adult learners. Today, we educate students from across the U.S. and around the globe, with over 200,000 alumni worldwide.
Focus on one subject at a time — one month at a time — and finish your degree faster.
75+ Degree Programs
Choose from associate, bachelor’s, and master’s degrees, plus credentials and certificates.
On Campus or Online
Study when and where it’s convenient for you with evening, weekend, and 100% online classes.
Apply or transfer any time. Classes start monthly, and applications are accepted year round.
Attend class and learn onsite at one of over 20 locations in California.
As a Yellow Ribbon school, we offer tuition discounts to servicemembers and dependents.
School of Arts, Letters, and Sciences
“Our faculty are established scholars and creators in their own fields. They are dedicated to making your entry into their disciplines a successful one, preparing you for your career as well as graduate study.”School of Arts, Letters, and Sciences