History of Sport
A survey of the history of American sport with a focus on European influences, as well as the influences of technological, cultural, racial, and economic diversity from Colonial American to present day.
- Describe and explain origins of sport in the United States.
- Discuss the influence of technology and transportation on the development of American sport
- Analyze the concepts of amateurism and professionalism in sport
- Describe the influence of culture and race on the development of sport in the United States.
- Discuss the influence of European culture on the early stages of American sport.
- Analyze the impact of religion on the development and current state of sport.
Why Choose National University?
We’re proud to be a veteran-founded, San Diego-based nonprofit. Since 1971, our mission has been to provide accessible, achievable higher education to adult learners. Today, we educate students from across the U.S. and around the globe, with over 185,000 alumni worldwide.
Focus on one subject at a time — one month at a time — and finish your degree faster.
75+ Degree Programs
Choose from associate, bachelor’s, and master’s degrees, plus credentials and certificates.
On Campus or Online
Study when and where it’s convenient for you with evening, weekend, and 100% online classes.
Apply or transfer any time. Classes start monthly, and applications are accepted year round.
Attend class and learn onsite at one of over 20 locations in California.
As a Yellow Ribbon school, we offer tuition discounts to servicemembers and dependents.
School of Arts, Letters, and Sciences
“Our faculty are established scholars and creators in their own fields. They are dedicated to making your entry into their disciplines a successful one, preparing you for your career as well as graduate study.”School of Arts, Letters, and Sciences