Intro to Bereavement Studies
Provides an introduction to basic bereavement concepts and theories. This introductory course is the prerequisite for the certificate program. Topics examined include the history of bereavement, normal bereavement responses, disenfranchised losses, and major bereavement theories. Personal experiences with loss will be explored.
- Define bereavement, mourning, and grief.
- Describe the historical progression of death and bereavement in American culture.
- Describe the progression of death education in America.
- Describe the ways in which death affects our perceptions of life.
- Describe normal and uncomplicated physical, emotional, behavioral, cognitive, and spiritual bereavement responses.
- Demonstrate an understanding of the societal implications of disenfranchised losses, including perinatal loss, divorce, retirement, suicide, AIDS, drugs and alcohol related death, adult sibling loss, pet loss, loss of friends and co-workers, loss of homosexual/bisexual partners, and non-death losses such as dementia, comas, and Alzheimer’s.
- Compare and contrast major bereavement process theories including stage, phase, and task models.
- Identify his or her personal experiences with death, loss, and bereavement.
Why Choose National University?
We’re proud to be a veteran-founded, San Diego-based nonprofit. Since 1971, our mission has been to provide accessible, achievable higher education to adult learners. Today, we educate students from across the U.S. and around the globe, with over 185,000 alumni worldwide.
Focus on one subject at a time — one month at a time — and finish your degree faster.
75+ Degree Programs
Choose from associate, bachelor’s, and master’s degrees, plus credentials and certificates.
On Campus or Online
Study when and where it’s convenient for you with evening, weekend, and 100% online classes.
Apply or transfer any time. Classes start monthly, and applications are accepted year round.
Attend class and learn onsite at one of over 20 locations in California.
As a Yellow Ribbon school, we offer tuition discounts to servicemembers and dependents.
College of Letters and Sciences
“Our faculty are established scholars and creators in their own fields. They are dedicated to making your entry into their disciplines a successful one, preparing you for your career as well as graduate study.”College of Letters and Sciences