Treatment of Addictions
This course covers the theories, etiology, assessment, diagnosis, and treatment of addictive and compulsive disorders from the resiliency, recovery, and medical models. This course also addresses the impact of socioeconomic status, ethnicity, other environmental factors and contemporary controversies on the development and treatment of addictive disorders.
- Analyze the various theories of etiology and models of addictive and compulsive disorders, including pathological gambling.
- Analyze the behavioral effects of the different classes of drugs.
- Distinguish between the different diagnostic categories related to addictive and compulsive disorders.
- Assess clients and formulate a differential Diagnostic and Statistical Manual (DSM) diagnosis of specific addictive and compulsive disorders.
- Formulate a case conceptualization from the resiliency, recovery, medical, or other models of assessment and treatment.
- Formulate treatment plans for clients with addictive and/or compulsive disorders.
- Apply at least three evidence-based therapeutic approaches appropriate for clients with addictive and/or compulsive disorders.
- Analyze the implications of public health and legal approaches to chemical dependency for mental health interventions for addictions.
- Integrate knowledge of the impact of HIV/AIDS on the treatment of clients with addictive and/or compulsive disorders.
Why Choose National University?
We’re proud to be a veteran-founded, San Diego-based nonprofit. Since 1971, our mission has been to provide accessible, achievable higher education to adult learners. Today, we educate students from across the U.S. and around the globe, with over 200,000 alumni worldwide.
Focus on one subject at a time — one month at a time — and finish your degree faster.
75+ Degree Programs
Choose from associate, bachelor’s, and master’s degrees, plus credentials and certificates.
On Campus or Online
Study when and where it’s convenient for you with evening, weekend, and 100% online classes.
Apply or transfer any time. Classes start monthly, and applications are accepted year round.
Attend class and learn onsite at one of over 20 locations in California.
As a Yellow Ribbon school, we offer tuition discounts to servicemembers and dependents.
School of Arts, Letters, and Sciences
“Our faculty are established scholars and creators in their own fields. They are dedicated to making your entry into their disciplines a successful one, preparing you for your career as well as graduate study.”School of Arts, Letters, and Sciences