Counseling Older Adults
Counseling Older Adults examines current theories and applications of assessment and intervention techniques with older adults and their families. Topics include innovative treatment modalities, ethical and legal issues affecting clinical practice with this population, and personhood in aging and dementia.
- Contrast basic counseling skills relevant for use with older clients with those used in working with younger clients
- Explain how the psychodynamic, humanistic, and existential foundations of counseling are applied in working with older adults
- Employ concepts of cultural competence and cultural humility in explaining how to address issues specific to older adults as a distinct cultural group, as well as issues particular to the diverse subgroups in this population
- Apply conceptual understanding of age-related physical, cognitive, and emotional changes to specific counseling issues brought by older adults, including health and rehabilitation, career changes, caregiving, and bereavement
- Develop a plan for gaining proficiency in the domains of practice outlined in the American Psychological Association’s guidelines for working with older adults
Why Choose National University?
We’re proud to be a veteran-founded, San Diego-based nonprofit. Since 1971, our mission has been to provide accessible, achievable higher education to adult learners. Today, we educate students from across the U.S. and around the globe, with over 185,000 alumni worldwide.
Focus on one subject at a time — one month at a time — and finish your degree faster.
75+ Degree Programs
Choose from associate, bachelor’s, and master’s degrees, plus credentials and certificates.
On Campus or Online
Study when and where it’s convenient for you with evening, weekend, and 100% online classes.
Apply or transfer any time. Classes start monthly, and applications are accepted year round.
Attend class and learn onsite at one of over 20 locations in California.
As a Yellow Ribbon school, we offer tuition discounts to servicemembers and dependents.
College of Letters and Sciences
“Our faculty are established scholars and creators in their own fields. They are dedicated to making your entry into their disciplines a successful one, preparing you for your career as well as graduate study.”College of Letters and Sciences