Psychology of Older Adults
Psychology and Neuropsychology of Older Adults will examine age-related changes in neurological and psychological function and methods for assessing them. Specific areas of study will include the age-related changes in memory, intellectual development in older adults, motivation and emotion over the life course, personality, and aging and mental health.
- Incorporate current theory and relevant research findings in addressing specific topics in the psychology and neuropsychology of older adults (PLO 2, 7)
- Explain how structural and functional changes in the aging brain and nervous system affect memory and decision-making (PLO 1, 2)
- Examine the seeming paradox of continuity versus change for older adults in areas relating to self and others: personality, gender roles, and intergenerational relationships (PLO 1, 2, 4)
- Develop assessment plans for older adults with memory complaints, depressive symptoms, or other psychological or interpersonal problems (PLO 2, 3)
- Design strengths-based treatment plans for older adults and their families presenting with complex cognitive, psychological, and interpersonal challenges (PLO 2, 3)
Why Choose National University?
We’re proud to be a veteran-founded, San Diego-based nonprofit. Since 1971, our mission has been to provide accessible, achievable higher education to adult learners. Today, we educate students from across the U.S. and around the globe, with over 185,000 alumni worldwide.
Focus on one subject at a time — one month at a time — and finish your degree faster.
75+ Degree Programs
Choose from associate, bachelor’s, and master’s degrees, plus credentials and certificates.
On Campus or Online
Study when and where it’s convenient for you with evening, weekend, and 100% online classes.
Apply or transfer any time. Classes start monthly, and applications are accepted year round.
Attend class and learn onsite at one of over 20 locations in California.
As a Yellow Ribbon school, we offer tuition discounts to servicemembers and dependents.
College of Letters and Sciences
“Our faculty are established scholars and creators in their own fields. They are dedicated to making your entry into their disciplines a successful one, preparing you for your career as well as graduate study.”College of Letters and Sciences