Intro to Substance Abuse
Focus on the definitions and diagnostic criteria for substance abuse and dependence, theories of etiology, medical and social model approaches, and the use of 12-step programs as adjuncts to treatment. It introduces the twelve core functions of chemical dependency counseling.
- Describe the concepts of substance abuse and dependence.
- Differentiate between Substance Abuse and Dependence.
- Describe the biological, cognitive- behavioral, social learning, psychodynamic, and family systems theories of etiology.
- Identify the twelve core functions of chemical dependency counseling.
- Identify the differences between the medical and social models of treatment.
- Describe the use of 12-step programs in substance abuse treatment.
- Identify issues of substance abuse for special populations including ethnic groups, adolescents, women, and dual-diagnosis psychiatric clients.
- Describe the relapse process in addiction recovery.
Why Choose National University?
We’re proud to be a veteran-founded, San Diego-based nonprofit. Since 1971, our mission has been to provide accessible, achievable higher education to adult learners. Today, we educate students from across the U.S. and around the globe, with over 185,000 alumni worldwide.
Focus on one subject at a time — one month at a time — and finish your degree faster.
75+ Degree Programs
Choose from associate, bachelor’s, and master’s degrees, plus credentials and certificates.
On Campus or Online
Study when and where it’s convenient for you with evening, weekend, and 100% online classes.
Apply or transfer any time. Classes start monthly, and applications are accepted year round.
Attend class and learn onsite at one of over 20 locations in California.
As a Yellow Ribbon school, we offer tuition discounts to servicemembers and dependents.
College of Letters and Sciences
“Our faculty are established scholars and creators in their own fields. They are dedicated to making your entry into their disciplines a successful one, preparing you for your career as well as graduate study.”College of Letters and Sciences