An overview of the fundamental microeconomic analysis of policy issues in public finance, emphasizing taxation. Major topics include public good and externalities, tax incidence and equity and fiscal federalism.
- Integrate the analysis of government spending and taxing with basic economic theory.
- Describe optimal taxation using standard economic tools.
- Analyze how the government sets policies and how expenditure and tax policies affect individual behavior.
- Explain how political views affect attitudes toward public finance 5Identify the tools used by public finance economists to analyze both positive and normative issues.
- Identify the tools used by public finance economists to analyze both positive and normative issues
- Discuss the government’s approach to solving particular problems and changing the status quo.
- Describe how to conduct a cost-benefit analysis of public expenditures.
- Construct a theoretical framework for thinking about tax policy.
- Explain how taxes should be levied to enhance economic efficiency and to promote a fair distribution of income.
- Analyze the interaction of state, local and federal governments in public finance.
- Identify the hidden costs of government, welfare economics, and the pure exchange economy.
- Analyze and discuss the issues of food stamps and child nutrition programs, housing assistance, social security and unemployment in relation to taxation and efficiency.
Why Choose National University?
We’re proud to be a veteran-founded, San Diego-based nonprofit. Since 1971, our mission has been to provide accessible, achievable higher education to adult learners. Today, we educate students from across the U.S. and around the globe, with over 200,000 alumni worldwide.
Focus on one subject at a time — one month at a time — and finish your degree faster.
75+ Degree Programs
Choose from associate, bachelor’s, and master’s degrees, plus credentials and certificates.
On Campus or Online
Study when and where it’s convenient for you with evening, weekend, and 100% online classes.
Apply or transfer any time. Classes start monthly, and applications are accepted year round.
Attend class and learn onsite at one of over 20 locations in California.
As a Yellow Ribbon school, we offer tuition discounts to servicemembers and dependents.