HSE470 Legal Issues of Security
A study of criminal and civil liability issues concerning government and private entities while preventing acts of terrorism, or during the recovery process after a critical incident. Exposes students to new congressional laws that apply specifically to homeland and domestic security. Delves into the protection of individual rights explaining the legal background and methods to avoid the pitfalls of liability. Covers legal issues in First, Fourth, Fifth and Eighth Amendments, and how the U.S. Constitution can be applicable to both government and private entities and the responsibilities of each.
- Identify participating agencies involved with homeland security issues.
- Describe security issues in offshore, coastal and inland waters.
- Describe legal issues with airport security and the Patriot Act.
- Identify the appropriate liaisons to government and private sector agencies.
- Describe the legal protocol for establishing agency jurisdiction.
- Describe threat and risk assessment.
- Describe legal & security issues involving employee and personnel security.
- Identify legal problems involving search & seizure and the Fourth Amendment.
- Describe the extent of protection the First and Fifth Amendments provides citizens of the U.S.
- Understand the Eighth Amendment protection with non-U.S. citizens.
Why Choose National University?
We’re proud to be a veteran-founded, San Diego-based nonprofit. Since 1971, our mission has been to provide accessible, achievable higher education to adult learners. Today, we educate students from across the U.S. and around the globe, with over 200,000 alumni worldwide.
Focus on one subject at a time — one month at a time — and finish your degree faster.
75+ Degree Programs
Choose from associate, bachelor’s, and master’s degrees, plus credentials and certificates.
On Campus or Online
Study when and where it’s convenient for you with evening, weekend, and 100% online classes.
Apply or transfer any time. Classes start monthly, and applications are accepted year round.
Attend class and learn onsite at one of over 20 locations in California.
As a Yellow Ribbon school, we offer tuition discounts to servicemembers and dependents.