Leg Res Wrtg-Legal Memo
Develops legal research skills through focused exercises using print and computerized research. Exposes students to primary and secondary legal authorities, with an emphasis on legislative history, administrative materials and loose-leaf services. Develops writing skills by examining different parts of the legal memorandum, including questions presented, brief answers, statements of fact, and conclusions.
- Describe what comprises the law in our society, including statutes, court opinions, and state and federal regulations, with emphasis on legislative history, administrative materials, and loose-leaf services.
- Demonstrate manual legal research skills by completing focused exercises in the use of case reporters, annotated codes, Shepard’s, A.L.R., practice guides, periodicals, and treatises.
- Employ computer legal research skills by completing focused exercises in the use of case reporters, annotated codes, Shepard’s, A.L.R., practice guides, periodicals, and treatises.
- Brief court opinions.
- Identify and discuss legally significant facts.
- Draft a statement of facts.
- Describe how to organize and draft a legal memorandum.
Why Choose National University?
We’re proud to be a veteran-founded, San Diego-based nonprofit. Since 1971, our mission has been to provide accessible, achievable higher education to adult learners. Today, we educate students from across the U.S. and around the globe, with over 185,000 alumni worldwide.
Focus on one subject at a time — one month at a time — and finish your degree faster.
75+ Degree Programs
Choose from associate, bachelor’s, and master’s degrees, plus credentials and certificates.
Online or On-site
Study when and where it’s convenient for you with evening, weekend, and online classes.
Apply or transfer any time. Classes start monthly, and applications are accepted year round.
Attend class and learn on-site at locations across California.
As a Yellow Ribbon school, we offer tuition discounts to servicemembers and dependents.