Covers civil procedure in both state and federal courts and civil litigation strategies. Emphasizes the paralegal’s role in discovery, pre-trial, and trial proceedings. Includes discussion of various forms of discovery, such as depositions, interrogatories, and demands for production of documents, and introduces judgments and the appellate process.
- Discuss key concepts of civil procedure before and during trial.
- Describe the pre-trial, trial, and post-trial process.
- Identify important documents used in litigation, such as discovery, pleadings, motions, and briefs.
- Explain how privileges are used in litigation.
- Understand basic ethical principles applicable to paralegals in a litigation practice.
Why Choose National University?
We’re proud to be a veteran-founded, San Diego-based nonprofit. Since 1971, our mission has been to provide accessible, achievable higher education to adult learners. Today, we educate students from across the U.S. and around the globe, with over 185,000 alumni worldwide.
Focus on one subject at a time — one month at a time — and finish your degree faster.
75+ Degree Programs
Choose from associate, bachelor’s, and master’s degrees, plus credentials and certificates.
Online or On-site
Study when and where it’s convenient for you with evening, weekend, and online classes.
Apply or transfer any time. Classes start monthly, and applications are accepted year round.
Attend class and learn on-site at locations across California.
As a Yellow Ribbon school, we offer tuition discounts to servicemembers and dependents.