Computers & the Law
Teaches computer technology as a tool to assist the legal professional in the practice of law. Utilizes lecture, group discussion, and hands-on computer use. Using the latest software for time and billing, case management, docketing control, and litigation support, students complete legal projects with assignments in the computer lab. Students learn how to effectively evaluate vendor products, and design and manage a litigation database project. Also covered are telecommunications and computer-assisted research, and ethical considerations, such as software piracy, misuse of software and databases, security, and protecting client data.
- Navigate computer software commonly used in different law office environments.
- Maintain information used in litigation and legal transactional matters.
- Demonstrate their ability to combine text and graphic images for use in graphics presentation software during trial, and in other legal contexts.
- Track their time using standard legal time-keeping software.
- Track law firm income and expenses, and prepare basic financial documents commonly used in a law office.
- Identify ethical concerns regarding the use of computer technology, including software piracy, misuse of software and databases, security breaches, and protecting the confidentiality of client data.
Paralegals may not provide legal services directly to the public, except as permitted by law.
Why Choose National University?
We’re proud to be a veteran-founded, San Diego-based nonprofit. Since 1971, our mission has been to provide accessible, achievable higher education to adult learners. Today, we educate students from across the U.S. and around the globe, with over 185,000 alumni worldwide.
Focus on one subject at a time — one month at a time — and finish your degree faster.
75+ Degree Programs
Choose from associate, bachelor’s, and master’s degrees, plus credentials and certificates.
Online or On-site
Study when and where it’s convenient for you with evening, weekend, and online classes.
Apply or transfer any time. Classes start monthly, and applications are accepted year round.
Attend class and learn on-site at locations across California.
As a Yellow Ribbon school, we offer tuition discounts to servicemembers and dependents.