Fundamentals of Geology Lab
This laboratory course will complement the student’s knowledge of geology with demonstrations and experiments. Contact hours for this laboratory course (45) are based on a 3:1 ratio, i.e. 3 lab hours = 1 lecture hour equivalent.
- Recognize and interpret features on the Earth’s surface.
- Interpret processes that are constantly changing the Earth’s surface.
- Discuss/describe the following: Reasons for various topographical features, processes that are modifying the Earth’s surface, major classes of rocks, physical properties of the common rock-forming minerals, the Earth’s place in the solar system and universe. Geomorphologic divisions of the Earth’s surface.
- Understand the language of the earth scientists, chemical and mechanical weathering and erosion of rocks, genetic classification of the three types of rocks, materials that constitute the earth, especially its crust, volcanic and diastrophic activity.
- Understand the history of the earth: theories of its origin, and of the origin of the solar system.
- Appreciate: The role that geology plays in common life, contributions of early investigators, soil and minerals resources and their conservation, the various studies of the earth science field, atmosphere, lithosphere, and hydrosphere and their relation to the earth and to man, effects of time upon the physical constituents and appearance of the earth, effects of time upon living organisms-anthropology, paleontology.
Why Choose National University?
We’re proud to be a veteran-founded, San Diego-based nonprofit. Since 1971, our mission has been to provide accessible, achievable higher education to adult learners. Today, we educate students from across the U.S. and around the globe, with over 185,000 alumni worldwide.
Focus on one subject at a time — one month at a time — and finish your degree faster.
75+ Degree Programs
Choose from associate, bachelor’s, and master’s degrees, plus credentials and certificates.
On Campus or Online
Study when and where it’s convenient for you with evening, weekend, and 100% online classes.
Apply or transfer any time. Classes start monthly, and applications are accepted year round.
Attend class and learn onsite at one of over 20 locations in California.
As a Yellow Ribbon school, we offer tuition discounts to servicemembers and dependents.
School of Arts, Letters, and Sciences
“Our faculty are established scholars and creators in their own fields. They are dedicated to making your entry into their disciplines a successful one, preparing you for your career as well as graduate study.”School of Arts, Letters, and Sciences