Introduction to the theory and applications of probability and statistics. Topics include fundamental concepts of probability, conditional probability, random variables, common distributions, and statistical inference (estimation, hypothesis testing, and regression). The emphasis is on developing problem solving skills and applying key results to computing and engineering problems such as algorithm analysis, queuing, and simulation.
- Identify and use both continuous and discrete probability distributions.
- Perform hypothesis tests.
- Understand and be able to use linear regression techniques.
- Construct estimates and confidence intervals for population parameters.
- Understand and apply the basic concepts of probability theory and statistics to Computer Science problems.
- Analyze problems and apply relevant statistical techniques to arrive at a solution.
- Discuss ethical issues relevant to statistical data collection and reporting.
Why Choose National University?
We’re proud to be a veteran-founded, San Diego-based nonprofit. Since 1971, our mission has been to provide accessible, achievable higher education to adult learners. Today, we educate students from across the U.S. and around the globe, with over 200,000 alumni worldwide.
Focus on one subject at a time — one month at a time — and finish your degree faster.
75+ Degree Programs
Choose from associate, bachelor’s, and master’s degrees, plus credentials and certificates.
On Campus or Online
Study when and where it’s convenient for you with evening, weekend, and 100% online classes.
Apply or transfer any time. Classes start monthly, and applications are accepted year round.
Attend class and learn onsite at one of over 20 locations in California.
As a Yellow Ribbon school, we offer tuition discounts to servicemembers and dependents.