Violence & Bullying Prevention
Focus on the nature, extent, causes and consequences, and remedies to forms of school violence, bullying, harassment, and cyber-intimidation. Discuss the personal, social, and legal ramifications and requirements for providing a safe, inclusive school environment. Explore preventative strategies and conflict-resolution techniques educators can utilize when issues occur.
- Examine the nature, dynamics, and causes of school violence within the context of "the culture of violence".
- Identify the social and cultural factors and perceptions contributing to all forms of violence, intimidation, harassment, bullying.
- Examine the impact of violence, bullying, harassment, and cyber-intimidation in lives of children, adolescents, families.
- Classify characteristics of healthy and unhealthy relationships and causes of violent behaviors.
- Assess effectiveness of current approaches and strategies in violence and bullying prevention.
- Discuss techniques for conflict resolution.
- Create an effective school violence prevention plan that involves the school, parents, and community.
Complete readings and participate in classroom or chat room discussions. Analyze five Internet sites that could be used for teaching about violence, intimidation, harassment, bullying and cyber-intimidation. Develop a written paper identifying and analyzing the effectiveness of one evidence-based prevention program for school violence, harassment, bullying and cyber-intimidation. Develop a teaching plan that could be used to teach about violence. Share written plan and prepare presentation to share with class. Develop a written research paper identifying any objectives in and that relates to school violence and the role of a health educator in meeting the objectives. Include an interview of a school or community health educator. In class analysis of case studies on violence and bullying. Midterm exam and comprehensive final exam.
Why Choose National University?
We’re proud to be a veteran-founded, San Diego-based nonprofit. Since 1971, our mission has been to provide accessible, achievable higher education to adult learners. Today, we educate students from across the U.S. and around the globe, with over 185,000 alumni worldwide.
Focus on one subject at a time — one month at a time — and finish your degree faster.
75+ Degree Programs
Choose from associate, bachelor’s, and master’s degrees, plus credentials and certificates.
On Campus or Online
Study when and where it’s convenient for you with evening, weekend, and 100% online classes.
Apply or transfer any time. Classes start monthly, and applications are accepted year round.
Attend class and learn onsite at one of over 20 locations in California.
As a Yellow Ribbon school, we offer tuition discounts to servicemembers and dependents.