Theories of Health Behavior
The theoretical basis of individual health behavior. Application of cognitive, psychosocial and environmental theories of health behavior and theories of self-directed and professionally facilitated health behavior change. Emphasis on Behavior Modification, Health Belief Model, Theory of Planned Behavior, Social Cognitive Theory, Stress and Coping, Social Support, and Transtheoretical Model.
- Describe behaviors, which promote, maintain and protect health.
- Identify historical and contemporary constructs of the major health behavior models.
- Determine the behavioral dimensions of major acute and chronic diseases and conditions.
- Apply the constructs of each health behavior model to diagnose and explain contemporary health behaviors.
- Apply relevant psychological, social and behavioral theories to predict health behavior.
- Compare the utility of each health behavior model in explaining the influences on health behaviors for individuals and communities.
Why Choose National University?
We’re proud to be a veteran-founded, San Diego-based nonprofit. Since 1971, our mission has been to provide accessible, achievable higher education to adult learners. Today, we educate students from across the U.S. and around the globe, with over 200,000 alumni worldwide.
Focus on one subject at a time — one month at a time — and finish your degree faster.
75+ Degree Programs
Choose from associate, bachelor’s, and master’s degrees, plus credentials and certificates.
On Campus or Online
Study when and where it’s convenient for you with evening, weekend, and 100% online classes.
Apply or transfer any time. Classes start monthly, and applications are accepted year round.
Attend class and learn onsite at one of over 20 locations in California.
As a Yellow Ribbon school, we offer tuition discounts to servicemembers and dependents.