Michele Marvel, PhD, LADC￼
Michele Marvel is an Associate Professor in the Sanford College of Education (SCOE)’ s Department of Global Innovation, Social Emotional Learning, and Educational Technology. Michele has worked remotely in the field of online higher education since 2008. Michele’s dissertation, Motivating Distance Learners in Online Gaming Worlds, was a quantitative study of personality traits and motivation in virtual game environments with implications for distance education. Michele’s research interests include e-learning, virtual reality, augmented reality, time management, games, personality, and motivation. Multimedia course announcements, student feedback, supplemental course resource development, and faculty training are some of the areas of higher education in which Michele uses educational technology to assist students and faculty and to promote learning in online education.
- Marvel, M. D. (2017). Player Characteristics and Games: Findings and Implications for Distance Learning. Journal of Educational Technology Systems, 46(2), 215-238. doi: 10.1177/0047239517723138
- Marvel, M. D. (2016, August). The eight dimensions of wellness in everyday life. Healthy Lifestyles Newsletter. Kaplan University.
- Marvel, M. D. (2012). Motivating distance learners in online gaming worlds. ProQuest, UMI Dissertations Publishing. ISBN 9781267798381
- Marvel, M. (2022, March 15). Lights, cameras, and backgrounds: Creating a professional setup for the home office [Presentation]. Center for Teaching and Learning. Northcentral University. https://youtu.be/TSdXIHbhxEk
- Marvel, M. (2022, January 18). Finding your time management superpower. Center for Teaching and Learning [Presentation]. Northcentral University. https://youtu.be/F4_ABkfpw_8
- Babcock, A., Cummins, L., Lyn, A., Marvel, M., Parsons, B. (2021, March 18). Moving from Trauma to Creativity: Ideas for Harnessing Traumatic Energy in the Classroom. [Presentation]. Amplifying Voices in Discourse Micro-Conference. Northcentral University. https://youtu.be/3j4_DmdgGPs
- Marvel, M. D. (2018, August). Tech Tips for Teachers: Teaching on Camera. Purdue University Global. [Presentation]. Teaching Innovation Presence (TIP) 2018 Conference.
- Marvel, M. D. (2018, June). Tech Tips for Teachers: Teaching on Camera. Purdue University Global. [Presentation]. Purdue University Global Lunch and Learn. Purdue University Global.
- Marvel, M.D. (2017, May). Participation in Online Games: Implications for Distance Education. [Presentation]. 2017 Teaching Innovation Presence (TIP) Conference: The Future is Now.