Introduction to the craft of writing focusing on: narrative and alternative structures; developing language and style; and the importance of active reading in enhancing one’s own craft. In addition to reading and writing exercises, students produce a creative work which reflects their mastery of these tenets.
- Identify the basic structure of a three-act narrative, as well as alternative and unconventional forms of narrative.
- Evaluate poetic and figural language and its effect and uses in creative writing.
- Discriminate among strategies for producing rich and complex characterization and dialogue.
- Devise strategies for active reading and viewing skills as a means of understanding published and peers’ writing and film as tools to enhance one’s own writing.
- Recognize and develop successful peer feedback.
The following are suggested course requirements for meeting the course learning outcomes: Weekly assigned readings and reading response journals. Threaded discussions and student discussions on assigned readings with an emphasis on craft and aesthetics. Mock student critique workshops for the purpose of modeling and developing successful peer critiques. A final creative or analytic project that demonstrates both an awareness of appropriate structure and attention to language.
Why Choose National University?
We’re proud to be a veteran-founded, San Diego-based nonprofit. Since 1971, our mission has been to provide accessible, achievable higher education to adult learners. Today, we educate students from across the U.S. and around the globe, with over 200,000 alumni worldwide.
Focus on one subject at a time — one month at a time — and finish your degree faster.
75+ Degree Programs
Choose from associate, bachelor’s, and master’s degrees, plus credentials and certificates.
On Campus or Online
Study when and where it’s convenient for you with evening, weekend, and 100% online classes.
Apply or transfer any time. Classes start monthly, and applications are accepted year round.
Attend class and learn onsite at one of over 20 locations in California.
As a Yellow Ribbon school, we offer tuition discounts to servicemembers and dependents.
School of Arts, Letters, and Sciences
“Our faculty are established scholars and creators in their own fields. They are dedicated to making your entry into their disciplines a successful one, preparing you for your career as well as graduate study.”School of Arts, Letters, and Sciences