School Counseling Intern. II
Students are placed in a school settings ranging from elementary to high school and expected to perform a variety of counseling related activities for a minimum of 600 hours of supervised practice to be scheduled over a period of at least two months. Students must maintain a grade of satisfactory throughout the internship series. Grading is by H, S, or U only.
- Develop a functional understanding of the determinants of human behavior, including concepts of development and learning to practice.
- Develop a knowledge of social concerns (including but not limited to poverty, pregnancy, rape, child abuse, substance abuse, gangs, and suicide) and cultural diversity issues.
- Apply knowledge of the development and management of School Counseling Programs designed to meet the needs of school youth.
- Apply an understanding of the basic theories of individual counseling.
- Apply basic theories of group counseling and various other group techniques practiced by school counselors.
- Apply consultation, crisis intervention, and conflict resolution skills.
- Apply knowledge of career education programs including theories, major concepts, and resource materials.
- Demonstrate the ability to use outside resources and make appropriate referrals.
- Evaluate the school counseling program for competency of the national standards.
- Evaluate school and classroom wide learning environment for personal/social as well as academic development.
- Reflect dispositions of a Professional School Counselor.
Why Choose National University?
We’re proud to be a Veteran-founded, San Diego-based nonprofit. Since 1971, our mission has been to provide accessible, achievable higher education to adult learners. Today, we educate students from across the U.S. and around the globe, with over 230,000 alumni worldwide.
#1 Choice for CA Teachers
NU has recommended more candidates for teaching credentials in CA than any other university in the state.
Accredited by NCATE
Sanford College of Education is accredited by the National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education.
Focus on one subject at a time — one month at a time — and finish your degree faster.
On Campus or Online
Study when and where it’s convenient for you with evening, weekend, and 100% online classes.
Attend class and learn onsite at one of over 20 locations in California.
As a Yellow Ribbon school, we offer tuition discounts to servicemembers and dependents.