NSG410A Population Focus Practicum
Lead Faculty: Dr. Alice Noquez
This course is part three of a series of three courses for community health nursing practicum.The community/public health clinical practicum experience focuses on nursing's role in promoting and protecting the health of populations in accordance with The American Nurses Association Scope and Standards of Public Health Nursing Practice (2007). Theories, principles, and strategies of population-based health care are used to design, implement, and evaluate services and plans of care to promote, maintain, and restore health in a defined population. Students focus on population aggregates in structured or unstructured settings across care environments. Strategies to evaluate health outcomes and costs of care are emphasized.Completion of this course partially fulfills the California Board of Nursing requirements for certification as a Public Health Nurse (Business and Professions Code of California, Section 2816-2819), which requires completion of a minimum of 90 community health clinical hours. Grading is satisfactory (s) or unsatisfactory (u) only. Students must be enrolled concurrently in nursing 410, Community Health: Population Focus.
- Assists in the design of an evaluation plan for an individual, family, or community-focused program.
- Participates as a team member to evaluate programs to individuals, families and groups for their effectiveness and quality.
- Utilizes a variety of methods to disseminate public health information to individuals, families and groups within a population.
- Demonstrates presentation of targeted health information to multiple audiences at a local level, including to groups, peers and clinical agencies.
- Uses concepts, knowledge, and evidence of the social determinants of health in the delivery of services to individual, families and groups.
- Collaborates with community partners to promote the health of individuals and families within the population.
- Participates effectively in activities that facilitate community involvement.