TEL604 TESL Curr. Development: K-12
Examines culturally responsive and inclusive instruction through historical, sociological and psychological perspectives. Emphasizes the development of successful family and community involvement. Includes an overview of multicultural and multilingual curricula and inclusive approaches to teaching.
- Demonstrate knowledge of the historical perspective of cultural and linguistic diversity in the United States.
- Demonstrate knowledge of the nature of culture and how assumptions, attitudes, and behaviors are shaped by culture and language.
- Identify the connections between language, culture, and education. Describe the nature of culture and gain an understanding of how assumptions, attitudes, and behaviors are shaped by culture, and how current practices create barriers for some and opportunities for others.
- Identify methods of including parents and the community within the school setting in order to strengthen children's background and culture.
- Compare and contrast multicultural education and identify methods of integrating a multicultural perspective into teaching or other educational activities.
- Demonstrate the ability to adapt curriculum and instruction so that it becomes accessible to all students.