ITL602 Context: Education in the U.S.
Examines historical, socio-political, cultural, and economic influences, as well as technological and other innovations on the evolution of education in the U.S. and globally. Considers the impact of legal mandates and other influential factors on the profession; identifies necessary knowledge, skills, and dispositions of an inspired professional educator.
- Analyze the historical, socio-political, and economic and cultural factors as well as other innovations (e.g., technological, neuroscience) that have impacted the evolution of public education in the U.S. and globally, as well as their effects and influences on state, district, and school governance practices and financial allocations. (TPE 6.7)
- Evaluate legal and ethical mandates outlining the role and responsibilities, rights and protections, of a professional educator in California's K-12 classrooms and schools.
- Distinguish how collaboration facilitates the creation and maintenance of a productive, inclusive, and safe learning environment encouraging positive adult-student and student-student interactions, as well as appreciates and reflects diversity, multiple perspectives, and cultural responsiveness.
- Analyze the full range of expectations (e.g. professional knowledge, skills and dispositions as well as standards and TPEs) of an educator seeking a credential in California.
- Analyze one's values, biases, beliefs - whether implicit or explicit regarding expectations for (a) students, teaching and learning; b) the role and responsibilities associated with being an inspired educator of and for all students; and c) how to plan for one's own professional growth and development.