ECE446 Literature and Young Children
Lead Faculty: Dr. Enid Acosta-Tello
Course DescriptionA survey of literature for young children in preschool through first grade. Emphasis on effective read aloud and story telling strategies for the developing language and listening skills, for developing concepts of print and vocabulary and for fostering a love of reading and early literacy skills.
- Describe the value of literature in an early childhood classroom and share conditions strategies and applications for creating a literature rich environment.
- Describe orally and in writing the benefits for children in listening to stories and the role of story telling in transmitting culture, philosophy, and language of different people.
- Demonstrate a knowledge of evaluation criteria in the selection of literature and choose appropriate books for children at the emergent and early levels that can be used throughout the curriculum.
- Develop a knowledge base of literature and the use of various genre and formats and literacy activities in the growth and development of young children.
- Describe the oral language and intellectual value of literature and develop ideas for the use of literature in providing children with positive literacy experiences.
- Demonstrate effective teaching-learning strategies with literature for young children including a read aloud and the use of storytelling and drama techniques in the reading of and responding to literature.
- Describe the creative, social and moral development of young children in relationship to literature and develop ideas for the use of literature in providing children with positive literacy experiences.
- Demonstrate, in writing and discussion, blending of literature into all subject matter and into the integration into an age appropriate dynamic learning curriculum units for young children.
- Research and share community, educational and commercial resources for the implementation of literature in the classroom.
- Compile a literature and storytelling resource including various types of literature for your children.
- Create and share an author study for use in literature instruction with young children.
- Demonstrate an understanding of the role of the family in the development of preschool literacy skills.