FIN674 Managing Financial Institution
Lead Faculty: Dr. Gurdeep Kumar Chawla
This course presents an overview of Financial System, Financial Markets, and Commercial Banking in the 1990s to the 21st century in the US and global setting. It covers asset and liability management problems for depository institutions including management issues, and performance analysis of non-depository entities. In addition, emphasis is placed on interest rates and interest rate risk management. International Bond Markets and new Issue Procedures in the Bond Market, digital money, and alternative electronic payment systems will also be discussed.
- Analyze the impact of globalization on financial management strategies and challenges of financial institutions.
- Analyze risks of financial institutions.
- Compare and contrast different types of financial institutions.
- Compare and contrast economic functions and intermediary services that financial institutions provide.
- Evaluate the factors that affect the Fed monetary Policy.
- Compare and contrast the differences in the assets and liabilities of the different depository institutions.
- Evaluate the effect of capital mix on a bank's weighted average cost of capital.
- Analyze the trends in interest rates.
- Analyze the change and diversity in the global financial system.
- Evaluate the risk of globally securities transactions.