Lead Faculty: Dr. James E. Guffey
An introduction to the field of corrections and the corrections continuum. Topics include contemporary theories of punishment, corrections and rehabilitation, local, state, federal and military confinement facilities and community alternatives to incarceration.
- Describe the historical context of American corrections.
- Evaluate the goals of corrections.
- Compare and contrast the roles adopted by different correctional institutions.
- Discuss the history and philosophy of probation, parole, and community-based alternatives to incarceration.
- Discuss the issues involved in the administration of polices and procedures related to corrections, probation, parole, and community-based alternatives to incarceration.
- Evaluate common treatment modalities used in criminal justice settings.