Learn to produce engaging visual content by combining professional cinema techniques with leading-edge digital media tools in the Master of Fine Arts in Digital Cinema Production. You’ll blend Hollywood and independent film traditions with hands-on experience in the professional film production disciplines. Because the film production coursework is presented in an online/hybrid format, the program allows students living outside the major media markets the chance to study film production with film industry professionals both online and onsite during the digital cinema production residency in Los Angeles. During the MFA in Film Production program you will produce several short digital film projects and a thesis film, and upon graduation you will be prepared to produce your own professional media projects and teach in film and media arts programs at the college and university level.
Program Learning Outcomes
- Evaluate professional and theoretical issues and processes pertaining to movies and aspects of digital filmmaking based on recognized industry models and standards.
- Incorporate research from primary and secondary sources into sustained analyses and interpretations of screenplays, films, and television programs.
- Generate an original narrative screenplay that incorporates standard industry format and dramatic narrative elements in a coherent plot structure.
- Generate the standard industry documentation required to effectively communicate and collaborate with a production team during the development, production, editing, and distribution of a professional motion picture.
- Implement film industry production and post-production workflow processes to capture, edit, finish, and export digital video assets to appropriate distribution media.
- Create an original short motion picture based on an original concept with a coherent storyline that is significant and complex enough to engage and sustain the interest of a discriminating audience and is suitable for distribution or submission to a film festival.
Why Choose National University?
We’re proud to be a veteran-founded, San Diego-based nonprofit. Since 1971, our mission has been to provide accessible, achievable higher education to adult learners. Today, we educate students from across the U.S. and around the globe, with over 170,000 alumni worldwide.
Focus on one subject at a time — one month at a time — and finish your degree faster.
100+ Degree Programs
Choose from associate, bachelor’s, and master’s degrees, plus credentials and certificates.
On Campus or Online
Study when and where it’s convenient for you with evening, weekend, and 100% online classes.
Apply or transfer any time. Classes start monthly, and applications are accepted year round.
20+ Campus Locations
Attend class onsite at one of over 20 campus locations across California or in Nevada.
As a Yellow Ribbon school, we offer tuition discounts to servicemembers and dependents.