Develop your potential!
National University (NU) offers a variety of English language acquisition, communication, intercultural learning, and academic skill and performance development programs. These English for Speakers of Other Languages (ESOL) programs--for individuals or groups--are designed for learners interested in English language acquisition and communication, wishing to enrich professional and workplace skills, or seeking to develop the academic language, knowledge, and skills required to pursue an advanced degree at an English-speaking college or university. NU is proud to be a member of the American Association of Intensive English Programs (AAIEP), Teachers of English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL) International and California TESOL (CATESOL), and NAFSA: Association of International Educators.
Students with qualifying English proficiency test scores recognized by National University or English Language Program (ELP) placement exam scores may enroll in the English Communication Series (ECS) program or the English for Academic Purposes (EAP) program. Successful completion of the of the highest level (Academic English: Advanced Performance II) fulfills the National University English language proficiency requirement; therefore, the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) examination or the International English Language Testing System (IELTS) examination is not required.
- English Communication Series (ECS) - Designed to improve fundamental English language skills while learning more about intercultural, scholarly, and workplace communication.
- English for Academic Purposes (EAP) - An intensive and rigorous program for students who want to improve their academic English skills for professional career enhancement or advancement.
- English for Specific Purposes (ESP) – A program is designed for individuals or cohorts who want to strengthen scholarly skills in a discipline-oriented context.
- English for Specific Purposes (ESP): Business English - For international business or university cohorts that want to enhance skills in business English through practical application of their English skills.
- English Communication and Culture (ECC) - Offered to international groups of learners who would like to improve their English language and communication skills while enjoying the Southern California cultural experience.