PMTX2280X Advanced Diving Medicine
Lead Faculty: Mr. William Hyder
Diving medical requirements and the skills necessary to become a commercial diver medic technician. Recognize and manage diving decompression illness; with specific focus on barotrauma, decompression sickness, arterial gas embolism, pulmonary over inflation syndrome conditions, breathing gas disorders, hypothermia, and near drowning are covered. Student will conduct practical chamber treatments to hone necessary skills for recompression treatment and chamber nursing support.
- Define the role of the Diver Medic in off shore Commercial Diving.
- Demonstrate proper recompression chamber operation, being able to compress, vent, and follow a treatment table and ensure diver and patient safety.
- Demonstrate the ability to align air, oxygen, and mixed gas systems, following all safety precautions; and demonstrate knowledge of safe HP Gas and Oxygen handling procedures.
- Demonstrate complete knowledge of how to use USN Air Decompression Tables and USN and Commercial Treatment Tables.
- Demonstrate the ability to examine a diver with symptoms and conduct a rapid and complete neurological examination.
- Explain and describe physiological conditions that predispose a diver to developing DCS, CNS oxygen toxicity, and Barotraumas.
- Demonstrate the ability to use findings of symptoms and signs in combination with history to make a differential diagnosis of DCS Type I, DCS Type II, and/or AGE and report properly to a Diving Medical Officer.
- Describe and explain the proper procedure to follow when conducting & Kindwall's Test of Pressure& and the limits and application of tests of pressure.
- Given a dive and/or treatment schedule, calculate UPTD to within 95% accuracy and demonstrate an understanding of using the information to prevent injury to the patient.
- Given a list of medications describe, explain, and discuss the proper use, dosage, precautions, contraindications, and side effects.
- Given a hyperbaric treatment situation be able to explain and discuss what adjunctive therapy could be used and proper nursing within a chamber.
- Demonstrate proficiency in conducting patient assessment of diving casualties and hyperbaric treatment.