PSY457 Forensic Psychology
Lead Faculty: Dr. Nicole Polen-Petit
Survey of the application of psychological knowledge or methods to a task faced by the legal system. General areas to be covered include, but are not limited to, eyewitness testimony, trial consultation and syndrome evidence.
- Discuss the major branches and functions of the legal system.
- Identify the different areas of forensic psychology.
- Describe the different roles that forensic psychologists play in pretrial, trial, and appellate decisions.
- Evaluate syndrome evidence and the controversies surrounding the use of such evidence.
- Compare and contrast eyewitness identification procedures.
- Discuss the roles of psychologists in cases of child sexual abuse.
- Illustrate the ways in which psychology contributes to our understanding of discrimination.