PSY448 History of Sport andamp; Sport Psych
Lead Faculty: Dr. Sarah Castillo
Interrelated historical development of physical education and sport as well as the history and development of sport, exercise, and performance psychology. Topics include the role of the scientific method and applied methods in research and practice, the history of sport, the role of culture and gender in sport and sport psychology, and current trends in sport and applied performance psychology.
- Describe the rise of the scientific method and the worldview of ancient civilizations and Western Europe as a precursor to the development of physical education, sport, and sport psychology.
- Identify and articulate historical debates in philosophy that have and continue to influence the fields of sport psychology and physical education.
- Identify and describe the origins of sport psychology and research within the broader discipline of physical education.
- Discuss the history of sport and its relationship to culture.
- Identify current trends in sport and applied performance psychology.