MTH461 Methods of Teaching Math
Lead Faculty: Dr. Igor Ya Subbotin
A critical inquiry into present-day tendencies in teaching mathematics in order to help prospective mathematics teachers to acquire their professional skills in the teaching of mathematics in secondary school. The teaching strategies that align to the new CA CommonCore Standards receive a special consideration. Fundamental concepts of mathematics and effective approaches to their teaching will be discussed.
- Discuss math standards and the content of math programs for secondary school, in particular CommonCore standards.
- Apply diverse teaching techniques and encourage the learning process in the mathematics classroom.
- Use modern technological tools for teaching and solving math problems.
- Describe and rationalize a set of strategies for mathematical problem-generation.
- Discuss the rules of effectiveness in mathematics study.
- Investigate new resources for developing their professional and teaching skills.